The Daily Conspiracy Of Lebanese Taxis

 

 

Lebanese Taxi: conspiracy of the day: electricity.

 

While shuttling around Beirut in a taxi (we call them service) I like to chat to the driver. Today I hopped in a service from Sanayeh to Cola and here is the newest taxi conspiracy theory which is more like a fact to the driver.

 

The taxi driver while dodging competing taxis, speeding scooters and crazy van drivers, kept complaining about life and this shit country (sho hal balad el-khara) and how nothing works. I wanted to put remedy to his grief so I decided to give him a different perspective- not the usual taxi moaning.

This is how it went:
Me: If the Lebanese people care about this country they would have revolted against the whole political system. The whole country was and is still out of electricity. Beirut was dark for 4 days and the people did not gather united against this dysfunctional system.
Taxi: They deserve it. Beirutis deserve it. I was not bothered by the blackouts in Beirut over the weekend.
Me:  It’s a normal reaction, the employees should quit if they don’t get paid. (I thought he was in solidarity with the power plant employees.)
Taxi: (wlek la2 ana b-2ilak) No this is not what happened. I’ll tell you the real story: Bahia Hariri paid and sucked 90% of the power generated from Zahrani power plant and directed it all to Saida. As a result she left the rest of the south with 10% power only. She wanted to do like Saad Hariri did in Tripoli when he gave them 24/7 electricity (not true I was there last week and electricity is still as bad as ever, some villages further to the north in Akkar have 0 to 1 hour a day electricity) that’s why M14 said nothing about it in the news.
Me: Well, if this is true then shame, shame for depriving the whole region of south Lebanon and turning  it only to her people in Saida.
Taxi: yeah Bahia gave it all to Saida whose people don’t deserve it. Saida is all full of Palestinians, Kurds, and Bedouins. I don’t understand why she even gave all our electricity to those Palestinians.

 
Me: Please drop me on the side here, I’m good here. Khalas, this is where I’m going

 

The racism in the car was suffocating me at this point.

 

4 thoughts on “The Daily Conspiracy Of Lebanese Taxis

    1. this is exactly it, but still in Lebanon the general poor feel poor only because they cannot buy a BB or an I-phone. akeed i’m not talking here about the real poor in Lebanon, north,camps…
      to the “i cannot buy the new BB” kind of poor in lebanon i feel its more mental slavery and laziness than actual poverty. the fact that all the info and news they get they get it from the sectarian manipulating Lebanese TV channels.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s